Friday, April 13, 2012

Mt. Hood Loops Roads

This might sound odd but I would like to know about the roads on the Mt Hood Loop. I have a problem driving on narrow, winding roads with sheer drop-offs. The Pacific Coast Highway driving nearly did me in. Yes, I am a big sissy sometimes but then again, not much of that on the East Coast!





I had no problems driving back on the Washington side from the Columbia Gorge trip we took a couple of years ago. We crossed over the Bridge of Gods on the way back to Portland.





We are going back to spend another 2 weeks in Oregon this year since we just fell in love with it when we were there. This time, we want to really explore more and have been looking at the Mt. Hood Loop.





Thanks.



Mt. Hood Loops Roads


This loop is a really easy drive, so no worries:)



Mt. Hood Loops Roads


Thanks, Mtngrl. I really didn%26#39;t want to miss it but since I have to do all the driving, I like to make sure before I go. I%26#39;ve read so many snipets about it and found some gorgeous pictures online that I just had to check with my trusted tripadvisor experts.





Thanks again. I am looking forward to another visit to Oregon. We love it there!




Good thing you used Bridge of Gods, think you would have found SR-14 over Cape Horn a bit scary.





The road to Timberline has some sort of high places. Some roads off the Loop Highway into Mt Hood NF would be a bit scary.




I am researching all the fun things to do in/near Columbia Gorge and the Mt. Hood Loop. As long as the roads aren%26#39;t goat path narrow, I am usually ok. I have a real aversion to heights but am improving on that with each trip West so any ideas for out of the way places would be great.





We did the the sights and falls on the Historic Highways, the Bonneville Dam and the fish hatcheries last time. That was really interesting and the scenery was magnificent. I would like to go a little farther east this trip, perhaps as far as The Dalles or even beyond.





Will one day in the Gorge and one day on MHL be long enough to do it justice? From there, we are heading through Willamette Valley to see some of the covered bridges and take in a winery or two before spending the rest of our two weeks on the coast. We both loved Newport and all the little towns heading up the coast to Tillamook.





I am getting more excited just thinking about all the fun we will have next summer. Thank you both for all the help!!





Sr-14 around the horn sounds interesting.




If you get to The Dalles do not head south on US 197. the road in and out of the Deschutes R canyon at Maupin I think would scare you. especially the out part. East of The Dalles the country is not tree covered.





If you have already visited along the old hwy and bonneville, you may have caught a lot of gorge. did you take short hike to Bridal Veil Falls.? There are two or three other short hikes to nice falls,





Hike to Mosier Tunnel might be interestin, the old highway over Rowena loops worth it you go as far as The Dalles, but from TD I would returen to Hood Rive on I84 and head south from Hood River.





I don%26#39;t find the Mt Hood Loop Hwy that interesting to explore along. The drive is quite nice and you get many good views of the Mountain. and trip to Timberline worth it. after your further explanation of what does not bother you. road should be ok for you.





One place you might add to your plan is Silver Creek Falls, that can be an all day adventure to see the 7 waterfalls, or you can see three fairly easily. From there couple of ways to get to Newport OR 22 or US 20.

No comments:

Post a Comment