Friday, March 30, 2012

PDX This weekend!

Flying into PDX this Friday (I know stupid move) to visit family in medford (I%26#39;m driving the 4 1/2 hours south in order to save 300 dollars on a plane ticket) and then returning to PDX area sunday evening. I%26#39;m staying at the Sherwood Inn in Lake Oswego. Has anybody heard anything about the place? Seems nice enough from their website.





besides the typical outdoorsy things to do in PDX, just WHAT is there to do? (I hear it%26#39;s going to be blasted cold!) I wanted to see multnomah falls and mt hood which would be worth braving the weather for. I am only going to be around until Wednesday morning my flight leaves at 6 am (eek!). I sure hope I have enough time!





Was planning on going to the bag dad sunday night. and possibly the grotto at some point, i hear the christmas lights are fabulous.



PDX This weekend!


Sherwood Inn is just a couple miles from my office here. It%26#39;s not much to look at, and being 10 miles south of Portland, not a great location either, except for the easy access to I-5. Not that the area is bad; just isn%26#39;t much of interest around it. For a taste of decent local fast food, try a meal at the Burgerville next door. Or, head to Bridgeport, the Portland area%26#39;s latest and greatest suburban urban village shopping mall. Couple decent restaurants there too.





Besides the always expected rain, weather shouldn%26#39;t be too bad. Temps in Portland will be in the mid-high 40%26#39;s, but snow is forecasted on Mt. Hood, so tire chains may be required to make that drive. Take the old Columbia River Highway out to Multnomah Falls. Besides the several other falls along the route, views are spectacular.





If it%26#39;s snowing on Mt. Hood and you%26#39;re not comfortable making that drive, head the other direction to Cannon Beach at the coast, about 90 minutes from the Sherwood Inn.





What%26#39;s going on at the Bagdad? Since it%26#39;s also on the east side, you could go the extra couple miles to the Grotto the same evening. Others obviously have a different opinion, but I would suggestion not setting expectations too high, either for Bagdad Theater, or the Grotto.



PDX This weekend!


Check the weather before you head out to do some sightseeing... I would probably bet for Multnolmah falls and the Columbia River Scenic Highway as being your most enjoyable driving option. There would be enough stuff to do here for a day trip, ...there are many other falls to see esp. since it%26#39;s been so rainy, Latorell, Bridal Veil, etc. Bonneville Dam has interesting grounds, fish ponds, fish ladders and tours of the dam if your into that sort of thing. Hood River is kind of a tourist friendly town. I also like the eastern portion of the CRSH from Mosier to The Dalles. Tom McCall Preserve-Nature Conservancy Property is pretty spectacular place to hike in the spring due to wildflowers, but don%26#39;t know about the winter.







The weather for the next week storms says it will be be dumping snow(in terms of feet) on Mt Hood. Add holiday traffic going over the pass and it seems a bit much for a vacation-to me. Others may think differently and it depends on how bad you want to see the mountain, but if it is snowy you wont see anything anyways, execpt for Timberline Lodge.




Snow level expected to be at 2000%26#39; or so soon . Unless you like driving in snow suggest you follow others advice and visit the Gorge or the coast. and is snow level drops more coast to Cannon beach may not be simple.





I think there is a parade downtown PDX on Sat. there is a Christmas tree lighting in Pioneer Sq where many go. my daughter does not miss it. Parking not easy downtown. Last year most of the women in our family went to a show downtown. i think Fri afternoond or Sat. It was a show on stage. It was also a Christmas theme. wife not here right now or would ask her name of show





Downtown Portland pretty festive Thanksgiving weekend.




http://www.travelportland.com/event_calendar/





www.pova.com



This is the Portland Visitors site and above is the calendar of events. This will help with plans in town, Saturday I think is the Macys Parade, the Christmas tree lighting is this week in Pioneer Square...down here in the Pearl, lights are on all the trees and shop windows are getting all decorated , very cheerful :)





The Museum of Art is good if you want to stay indoors and be warm, the many shops and restaurants in the Pearl and NW 23rd street can keep you comfortable, happy and well-fed :)





Plan on traffic when you come into town and out from Lake Oswego on I-5..




The Kennedy School is also a good place to see a film and have some food and drink. Christmas lights should be up and in full force. Downtown and the Pearl do Christmas up nice.





I live here and this is what I am doing this weekend:





Shopping in The Pearl



A film downtown



Lunch at Piazza Italia



A visit to the Portland Art Museum



A drive in the West Hills around Washington Park



Dinner at Giorgios



Coffee with friends



The laundry





If you are driving to Medford check the weather travel advisories before you head out. There is snow coming in for the mountains and you have to climb a few small mountains on I-5 from Portland to Medford.





Have a wonderful visit!




WOW! So much information!!! Holy COW I don%26#39;t know where to start.





Well I have friends that live in MFR, who drive to PDX all the time and they always go to the BagDad for movies and food they say it%26#39;s ';Cosy'; and I like the whole cozy feel. And I like christmas lights, so that%26#39;s why I wanted to go to the grotto to see their display.





Are there any indoor gardens much like we have Phipps Conservatory here in Pittsburgh? If they do that would be awesome. I was hoping it wouldn%26#39;t snow or at least hold off until we could get to Mt Hood but que sera sera, there%26#39;s always the spring!





So I%26#39;m landing Friday night and making the long trek to MFR. So far my plans are for Saturday:





Sleep! (Can anyone say Jet Lag?)



Visit The Family



Meet up with Friends and go to Ashland to see Christmas Lights at the Plaza, Eat dinner at The Black Sheep





Movie or Karaoke at Beijing House





Sleep!





Sunday I have no clue, I%26#39;ll probably just chill around and wait for my friend to get off work so we can drive up to PDX together. The hotel I%26#39;m staying in has a pool so we%26#39;ll at least be able to do some indoor swimming and maybe grab some grub at Bridgeville or Bag Dad or Kennedy School... they all sound excellent. I%26#39;m not much of a shopper, so shopping is OUT. The only shopping I do is on Amazon or Ebay.





It%26#39;s Monday and Tuesday we have to fill with things to do. And if it%26#39;s snowing and I have a rental car I do NOT think they%26#39;re going to give me chains so I can go mountain excursioning. They may be rather apt to look at me and say ';Okay we want the car back NOW.'; No please, no thank you... just NOW. LOL!





The Gorge sounds like a must do and it was something we had planned for monday at least. Other than that we might just go to a blazers game and call it a weekend.




They%26#39;re probably nothing like Phipps, but the Chinese Classical Gardens would be okay, even in the rain: http://www.portlandchinesegarden.org/. And if you happen to catch a window when it%26#39;s not raining, the Japanese Gardens, even better: http://www.japanesegarden.com/.




No indoor botanical gardens here, I have been to the Japanese Gardens in the rain, if possible, it is more beautiful and atmospheric but you really have to be in the mood to do that.



Indoor activities here would be shopping, Powells books, museums, galleries, movies ( there are SO many good theatres!)



Being from the NE...cold does not bother us but rain does limit ones outdoor activities..





Have a great visit!




A trip up The Columbia River Gorge is absolutely awe inspiring. I live here and every time I drive up I am amazed at the beauty. Even if it%26#39;s rainy and blustery. Unless weather advisors say otherwise, drive up I-80 at least to see Multnomah Falls, the incredible Columbia River and take time to visit Hood River. It is a charming town, with many good places to eat and have coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment