Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Cruising on the river?

Hi everyone. I am considering a Columbia/Snake River cruise this summer. Anyone ever done it? If so,which company? Opinons?



I have already looked on cruise critic and there%26#39;s nothing . I%26#39;ve posted the same question on the cruise forum.



Thanks for any info.



Cruising on the river?


I guess no one has done a cruise on the Columbia...



I%26#39;ve done some boating in the Columbia on private boats, so I can vouch for the nice scenery, but I%26#39;m not familliar with the companies.



Could you ask the companies for references? Of course their references would say they enjoyed the trip, but with the right questions you might be able to get some good information...



Cruising on the river?


Check www.CruiseWest.com.





I haven%26#39;t been on these cruises, but I have read about their cruises on the Snake and Columbia, and have seen their boats (ships?) when in the Columbia Gorge.





Hope this helps!




Thank you guys for trying. I guess the average customer on these cruises are out of touch with computer web sites. Maybe everyone is very old and feeble. I don%26#39;t know but thanks anyway.




: ) Could be! I didn%26#39;t get much response when I tried checking river cruises from Moscow to St. Petersburg either.





Too bad--the concept of cruising the Columbia sounds great. There were some TA posters who had cruised with Cruise West on the Inside Passage in Alaska who seemed to really enjoy the small ship experience. It would be good to know more about their reliability, safety, etc. before investing time, energy and $$$!




did you try the new cruise forum?. I think most of us here this time of year are locals or regular visitors. who probably would not cruise the Columbia.





If I were to cruise again would pick a river I had not driven many times. we cruised once, to alaska, waiting awhile before we cruise again.




Hi Riffsmom (%26amp; pop) - How was the Alaska cruise?





I just saw your posting and was surprised at the replies. I guess most of us ';locals'; have driven the route a number of times - so we don%26#39;t think about cruising.





I think that you would really enjoy it. Go to the American West Steamboat web site





www.americanweststeamboat.com





You can see pictures of the ships and the various itineraries.





%26#39;I%26#39;ve seen the steamboats up close a few times and everyone seems to look happy. A good mixture of active retired and a there are some that are obviously older that we are. The paddlewheelers are unique. These are good 7 day cruises through the Columbia Gorge to the Snake River. The scenery is great - Watch on the right side of the ship as you head up toward Idaho and see a multitude of waterfalls.





The shore excursion s are good also - you will especially enjoy the excursion to Pendleton and the Tamastslikt Cultural Institute which is one of the best and really well down Native American Museums i%26#39;ve been to. I was just there this fall and have been a number of times. Very classy. When you get to the Snake River they have guides from the Nez Perce on hand.





American West is a division of Ambassadors Cruise Group as is the Delta Queen on the Mississippi.





The ';Empress of the North'; is the larger of the two ships and the Romanov dining room is beautiful. The ';Queen of the West'; is smaller and its dining room is on a Lewis and Clark theme.





Since you are both keen on history - you%26#39;ll appreciate the fact that you are travelling along the Lewis and Clark Route.





There is a lot packed into the 7 day cruise and the scenery is viewable (unlike my Mississippi Queen cruise where you only saw the levees until you got to a town.)





I would seriously consider it. Wait until you get some responses from people who have actually taken the trip. The American West ships are the best of few that cruise the Columbia.





Look forward to seeing you in San Diego next Spring (May 17 - 21)





Jean




Thanks again everyone who tried to answer me. I tried,cruise critic, and the TA cruise forum. I posted here on the off chance that a local had decide to do the cruise. We often stay at our local hotels when they have a special and have cruised out of our port down to Mexico so I thought maybe the same would apply in Portland. Oh well!



Jean ,I can%26#39;t believe I didn%26#39;t e-mail you after Alaska!WOW!Sorry



I will soon. See you in the spring




Just finished the Columbia River Cruise on the ';Queen of the West'; by American West Steamboat Company. I%26#39;ve been on river cruises from Amsterdam to Budapest and on the Rhone River in France. This compares with any of these.



Crew was exceptionally good and always cheerful and helpful. Meals were open seating and nicely served. Breakfast was better than average in that you have three choices: typical buffet, one or two specials, or cooked to your order. On the top deck is a snack ar open twenty four hours with coffee, soft drinks and snacks. Also served a continental breakfast.



Shore excursions are all included in price. Only extras are souvenirs and alcoholic drinks. Entertainment every night after dinner and some lectures during the day by an on-board historian. When you look at the price, it%26#39;s not cheap, but I think worth every dollar. An outstanding experience. VonH9700@aol.com






How great to hear from someone who did it, with helpful response to op.





Did you Pendleton Underground?




I%26#39;ve seen that boat anchored near Vancouver or Camas before. Clean looking boat.





Never been on it. Glad to hear from somebody who has.





I%26#39;ve almost been more interested to take the train near Mt. Hood - not sure how long the ride is.





RIFFSMOM - are you driving up?





If so, there are Rogue River tours, both down from Grants Pass near Interstate 5, and up from Gold Beach near Highway 101.





Those are Jet Boats though - big ones. Outdoor seating - not a winter adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment