Friday, March 30, 2012

Restaurant Suggestions

My mom and dad are finally making it to Oregon and we are going to spend 2 1/2 days in the Portland area. I am picking them up in the am from PDX and I know they will want to eat ASAP. I was wondering if there are any recommendations for good breakfast places between PDX and downtown. I would like to eat sooner rather than later since my mom wants to try Jake%26#39;s and I thought we could try for an early dinner there after doing some shopping downtown. We will also have my 2-year old who has pretty good restaurant manners but family friendly is the best.





Also, we are actually staying at the Hilton in Lake Oswego because we will be spending some time in the Tigard/Beaverton area. Any suggestions for food around there or should we stick to downtown. They enjoy trying new different things but to get an idea of what they like some of the chains they go to are Claim Jumper, Mimi%26#39;s, Macaroni Grill. We also love Japanese food (not just sushi) and New York style deli%26#39;s.





Would love if if anyone could make any suggestions.



Restaurant Suggestions


Very close to the hotel in Lake Oswego is the shopping area of Bridgeport Village, complete with several restaurants that from what you describe, would fit the bill. There is a Macaroni Grill there, as well as a California Pizza Kitchen, PF Changs, McCormick %26amp; Schmicks Grill, and quite a few smaller places. Their website is www.bridgeport-village.com, so go check that out and see what sounds good. Also right there is a Whole Foods that will open this week, so you could do some great food shopping there, or good take away food.



Restaurant Suggestions


Thanks Mtngrl. My dad will love that they have a Tommy Bahama and I%26#39;m thrilled they have a Container Store. The menu for the Japanese restaurant looks interesting as well. I really need to try to get to Portland more often.




The Japanese restaurant in Bridgeport is called Sinju; there%26#39;s one downtown in the Pear as well. We%26#39;ve been a couple times; I think it%26#39;s one of the better ones in Portland, for sushi and other Japanese fare. Almost next door to the Hilton is a Stanford%26#39;s, part of the Pacific Coast Restaurants chain. Not gourmet food, but they do a nice job with seafood in particular, and your parents would probably think it pretty upscale.





PDX to downtown is only 15 minutes, so you don%26#39;t really need to find a breakfast spot between. And in Portland, I%26#39;d suggest Mother%26#39;s Bistro on Stark and 2nd(?) downtown. Great food!




Good restaurants of any kind are hard to come by in the PDX (airport) area, but I%26#39;ve been told that the Shilo Inn on Airport Way has good Sunday Brunch. There are actually a couple of places at the airport itself that are probably better than most of the places around it, believe it or not. A couple decent places for breakfast there are Columbia Grill and the Rose City Cafe.





There are also the usual cast of chain characters like Elmer%26#39;s, IHOP, Shari%26#39;s and the like that do breakfast over there. There is also a Village Inn just off I-205 at Mall 205 - I%26#39;ve not been there, but I would imagine it%26#39;s comparable. For actually good breakfast, you might as well just stop downtown - it%26#39;s right on the way to Lake Oswego, and only about 15 minutes from PDX. If you do, Mother%26#39;s Bistro is right off the freeway - quite convenient and good food.





Another Japanese place in the area you%26#39;re staying is Benihana%26#39;s at Washington Square. It%26#39;s part of the national chain. There are decent places to eat down there, if not as fashionable as downtown. Some ideas include: McCormick%26#39;s Fish House on Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy, just off 217, Pho Van Vietnamese (also on BHH), Swagat Indian Restaurant, and Typhoon Thai Food.





More trendy places are found in Lake Oswego including Clarke%26#39;s Restaurant, Genia%26#39;s, FiveSpice, Zeppo, and Riccardo%26#39;s.




Also in the Washington Square Mall (Tigard) is the Cheesecake Factory. It is very family friendly and has really yummy desserts! Enjoy your time in Portland! :)




Thanks you guys. Those are all great suggestions. I will print this thread to take with me. I think we will just head downtown to eat. I have heard of Mother%26#39;s and wanted to try it. I may be late picking them up anyway as I%26#39;ll have to leave by 7 a.m. so I%26#39;ll have them wait for me at Coffee People or Starbucks and they can snack until I get there.





We are getting a PF Changs down here in Eugene. I%26#39;ve never been there but heard good things about them.




Yukira--Yes, Mother%26#39;s is great. They are closed on Mondays, so if that is the day you are picking them up, try another place that is only a block away from Mother%26#39;s...Lorn %26amp; Dotties. Very good breakfasts!




PF Chang%26#39;s is really good. We like the Lettuce Wraps there and the Oolong Marinated SEa Bass. They also do a really good noodle dish with garlic there. Don%26#39;t miss the Banana Spring Rolls for dessert. :)




Apparently PF Changs can vary quite a bit. Scarlett has been to both the Pearl location in Portland as well as Bridgeport Village. I have only been to Bridgeport. We both agree that Bridgeport is awful!!! She said the Pearl location is much better.





Syrahgirl--If you like lettuce wraps, you must visit Henry%26#39;s on your next trip here. It beats the heck out of PF Changs.




I too would advise against PF Chang%26#39;s at Bridgeport. A work associate and I were there a couple weeks ago, and he complained that his meal was practically inedible. Mine was okay, but based on that experience and another my wife and I had there this past summer, the Bridgeport restaurant is pretty hit and miss.





If any of you are into wine, there%26#39;s a new wine bar with small plates that opened up recently (in Bridgeport) called Split. I%26#39;ve only been once, but will be going back. The wine%26#39;s the thing at Split, but it%26#39;s not a bad spot for a light meal either.


  • anti aging creams
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment