Thursday, April 26, 2012

Highway 20 from Newport to I-5

Has anyone driven on Highway 20 from the Newport area over to I-5? We need to head back to California from this area taking I-5 since we are short on time. Is it a nice drive and how is it on the curves? About how long do you think it will take if we drive leisurely? Thanks, Jodie

Highway 20 from Newport to I-5

When we were at coast a couple of weeks ago saw a sign that warned of construction on US-20 and possible delays. I do not know if something big was happening that week

Here is comment about it from ODOT site. doesn%26#39;t sound too bad.

Comments: Expect intermittent one lane closures with flaggers between July and October. Construction vehicles pulling on and off the highway. The contractor is working at the connection of the existing highway to the future highway between milepost 16 and 17 primarily at night

I have driven that road many times. It isn%26#39;t too bad for curves a couple of stretches still pretty curvy. then I rememb3er it when it was one curve after another.

Do not take 20 all the way to Albany, from Corvallis take OR-34 east to I-5

Highway 20 from Newport to I-5

There are a fair number of curves in the first 20-25 miles, but after that it%26#39;s pretty smooth sailing, except when passing through the towns. If you%26#39;re doing it leisurely, figure 1.5 - 2 hours.


As I recall, it took us about two hours to reach I-5 from Toledo, which is right next door to Newport. It is a pretty wooded drive with a few curves but nothing major.


Thanks so much for the info. Jodie


When we%26#39;re driving from our house in Gleneden Beach (just a smidgen south of Lincoln City) to our house in Las Vegas we cut across at Florence and catch I-5 in Eugene. We%26#39;ve never cut across at Newport, but the drive from Florence over is an easy one. And in my opinion one of the most scenic. Not only do you get some great views of the Pacific by heading a little farther south to Florence, the drive over to Eugene is very, very pretty! We%26#39;ve cut across from I-5 to the coast at many locations and this one is our favorite.

A great website to visit is tripcheck.com. You can check out various roads in the state via cameras and they also show where construction and possible delays are to be found on the state%26#39;s highways and freeways.


I was going to suggest poster go just a bit further down coast. drive from Yachats to Florence of of best coast drives I know of.

IAnd head inland at Reedsport and on to Roseburg, also a drive along river. It is a few miles shorter than Newport to I-5 then south, but not enough miles to be faster.


Jodie, we just did this last Sunday (7-16). It took us 2 hours 10 minutes to get from Newport to the Cottage Grove exit of I-5, 20 minutes south of Eugene. It%26#39;s the quickest from Newport if you want to go south . . . not the prettiest, but the quickest.

Sherry


Hi - I live in the area and have taken the drive from the intersection of Highway 101 in Newport to I-5 in Corvallis umpteen times - and despite contruction delays, curves, whatever - it%26#39;s never taken more than 75 minutes or so. If you are travelling North on I-5 and want to cut over to the Coast you do however have alternatives. If your destination is the Salem/Portland area - I thoroughly recommend the Kings Valley cutoff (this is true coming or going - to get to from the Portland/Salem direction - take the Independence/Monmouth/Ocean Beaches route, to get to from Newport, Kings Valley is clearly marked about 5 miles or so before Philomath). And added bonus is a beautiful covered bridge - now a park - in Pedee. The time for the Kings Valley cutoff versus 20 to i-5 directly is maybe 10 minutes less, maybe 5, but seems like 30.

From Eugene and South, a much quicker AND finer drive is to take Highway 99W North where you intersect Highway 20 in Philomath, thence West to Newport - the total time is typically under 2 hours - the scenery and small towns are nice to see - and you pass by some sights worth stopping at (or at least slowing down to gather in). Among those sights is the National Landmark Willamette Floodplain (see http://www.nature.nps.gov/nnl/Registry/USA_Map/States/Oregon/NNL/WF/index.cfm). For golfers, there is nothing like Fiddler%26#39;s Green - which is the largest on-course golfshop in the US http://www.fiddlersgreen.com/. If you are interested in Scandanavian culture - the Scandinavian Festival of junction City is incredible (http://www.scandinavianfestival.com/). Once you hit Highway 20, there are 2 more historic covered wooden bridges on the way. One in Wren (maybe a mile off 20) and one in the Blodgett vicinity (abutting 20). Additionally, some like me enjoy seeing factory towns whose heyday has passed by - and Toldeo fits in this category for sure. The GP Mill is their largest, and has it roots in producing armements for WW1 of all things! All that and the original sections of Highway 99 (which are numerous) have as much ';Route 66'; like DNA as any you will find across the country.

That said - these are inland/Willamette Valley sites - and you do not see nor sense the coast until you actually reach Newport. If you have not experienced the Oregon Coast scenic highway before - stop and do it - as much and as often as you can. Major sections of Highway 101 from Brookings to Astoria (the entire coastline) are among the finest anywhere in the world. Up there with the Great Ocean Road in Victoria, AU as well as the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, and the Italian Riviera. This is as inspiring and photogenic and memoriable as they come. To get the full sense - devour this site: …state.or.us/exhibits/coast/back.html - it is from the finest travel book ever written about Oregon.

I could go on an on about the pro%26#39;s and con%26#39;s of these routes - and would be glad to try to answer any followup inqueries.

My apologies in advance for all of the running on at the mouth. But it%26#39;s hard not to - this is a beautiful area to behold.


Toledo??

My mother and I moved there in 1945 where I started 3rd grade. I graduated HS in 1955 there. my mother died there 1982, then my daughter lived there 10 years. Sold my mother%26#39;s house three years ago. Been around Toledo forever

I remember Toledo%26#39;s heydays, 3 sawmills. Paper mill came later. I saw many one log loads go by our house. I could go on. but won%26#39;t

You are right about time any more. Road has been improved over time


%26lt;%26lt;I saw many one log loads go by our house.%26gt;%26gt;

Smaller trucks or bigger trees, phirl? Either way, times have changed, haven%26#39;t they...

  • How to clean military surplus wool blankets
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment