Thursday, April 26, 2012

Vintage Plaza, Northrup, Embassy Suites?

A girlfriend and I are going to Portland and thinking about these hotels. Someone said VP has bad beds; others complained about rude service at Inn at Northrup Station.



We stayed at the Paramount last time and loved it, but the rumors about construction there have me wondering.



We want to be in a good location for shopping and dining. I hate that $25 fee for parking but will live with it if I have to.



Can someone help me decide?!?



Vintage Plaza, Northrup, Embassy Suites?


Try to book under the POVA website. These hotels include parking and a complimentary breakfast. We recently enjoyed a very nice stay at the Heathman Hotel in the Symphony Suite. They have an excellent restaurant there where we enjoyed dinner and brunch, and it is also walking distance to Higgins, another one of our favorties in Portland. Have fun, btw the beds at Heathman are wonderful! I have a review with photos here under Portland Hotels. Good luck and have fun! :)



Vintage Plaza, Northrup, Embassy Suites?


Yes, the construction around the Paramount is a mess right now, unfortunately. If you really like that hotel and if your trip is not for a while, you might want to check and see when the construction will be finished. Actually, Scarlett, who lives in the Pearl, might know. She is a wealth of info on downtown stuff. Another option would be to call the hotel and ask for a room that is furthest from the noise.





Besides the POVA suggestion, try calling the hotels directly. We have done that and got better deals than the POVA. It just depends on availability and such, but it is worth a shot.





Even though I live here, we have stayed at the 5th Avenue Suites and really like it. I realize you did not mention this hotel, so I hesitated to even post about it. But it is in a great location and has a great restaurant onsite.




Vintage Plaza is a Kimpton Hotel, sister of the 5th Avenue Suites. I love the 5th Ave Suites, we stayed there on all our trips to Portland, and when we moved here. Our friends and family stay there when they visit.



I don%26#39;t know about their beds but the VP is supposed to be quite nice.





The Inn@Northrup Station is in a great location, rooms have a fridge, they give you streetcar tickets when you stay there, I have not heard anything about rudeness, but anywhere you go, you can run into that..truth is that Portland happens to be (IMO) one of the more polite places I have lived in, everyone is friendly and polite.



So one story of rude would not make me not stay there.





The Paramount...the entire city block in front of the building is being torn down, dug up and excavated, they are putting in a entire block sized underground parking with a park on top, this will go on for a while. They are making quite a mess and a noisy one too.





Good location for shopping would be downtown or the Northrup..



being on the streetcar line makes it all sooo easy, but even a few blocks off, you can get all around the city easily with the streetcars.





To avoid the parking fee, which is the same in all the hotels and is pretty high! you can use the Smart Park lots, they are all over the city and much more reasonable.



if you are interested, I can get you the website.





Hope this helps some..did you look into the DeLuxe?




Are the rooms at the Heathman and DeLuxe (I was wondering what happened to the Mallory!) small for two people? We want two beds.



I love the Heathman%26#39;s restaurant and location.



Fifth Avenue Suites seems a little expensive, but I guess not much more than Vintage Plaza. I%26#39;ll look into it.



Thanks, everyone! I%26#39;m still trying to decide.




I%26#39;m with Scarlett. Toss caution to the wind and stay at Hotel de Luxe. Classic old Portland building, but brand spanking new remodel, done with a retro %26#39;40%26#39;s - %26#39;50%26#39;s Hollywood theme. Relatively quiet location, but easy walking distance to the Pearl District, NW 21st and 23rd Streets, and the center of town.





If you%26#39;re set on one of the three you mention, I%26#39;d recommend either downtown location before Inn at Northrup Station. Or, if you don%26#39;t like anything you%26#39;ve seen so far in this thread, have a look at The Governor.




The Heathman had some rooms redone, I don%26#39;t think the price is better than the 5th Ave Suites. They are an old hotel, I don%26#39;t think the rooms are especially big. Someone mentioned a suite here once, but then, most suites are larger..( one of the reasons I like 5th Ave) but then again, if you aren%26#39;t getting a free upgrade, you are not gonna want to go for the suite :)





DeLuxe might be pricey now, The Mallory was known to be reasonable but they did a total gut so prices are higher.



Mistletoe did a tour, he can tell you more, I just see it from my window lol..





OK, did you look into the MarkSpencer?



A friend and fellow traveler, stayed there last weekend, they ended up getting upgraded to a suite, she said they did not hear street noise, that they had a fridge in the room. It is right on the streetcar line and at the edge of downtown/Pearl District.



I have hotel GoLists, see if this helps any.. tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i892-Sleeping_i鈥?/a>




I was typing while mistletoe posted, so that is why what I said sounds strange lol..




LOL... And I posted before I saw your latest question, ThreeDog.





We were only in two of the Hotel de Luxe rooms. I remember both as being generously sized - one even had a large walk-in closet - but I don%26#39;t think either had two beds.





Regarding the Heathman, I admit it was a long time ago that I stayed there, and only in a standard room, but I think door to the room almost hit the bed when you opened it all the way. And if you%26#39;re really looking to be in the center of the best shopping and dining, the Heathman might be the worst location of all you%26#39;re considering.




Hi again, no the Symphone Suite was not small. There are doors that close off one room that is a sitting room with a nice bed and an extra TV. The other room had the really comfy bed with the adjacent bathroom. The Heathman was great for shopping, Nordstrom%26#39;s is just a short walk away. We enjoyed a walk down to the Courthouse Square after our meal there. My stay there was very recent, in June, not several years ago. Hope this helps! :)




syrahgirl--mistletoe was describing what a regular room, not a suite, was like.

No comments:

Post a Comment