Friday, April 27, 2012

please help, so much beaty so little time!

hello, all oregon coast lovers! I haven%26#39;t been in years, I am finally going this Aug and I am excited.





My plan is cannon beach I already have 4 nights booked there, and I started feeling the urge to drive further south to the central coast at least, but I dont know if I can pull it off.





Mon, arrive in cannon beach around 4pm, from van, bc



Tue - spend full day in cannon beach and area



Wed - wanted to drive up coast as far as I could and then driving back to cannon beach to spend the night.





thurs - back to cannon beach to sleep before 7-8 hour drive home.





Fri - drive home





May I please ask for all your help, my question is:





How far could I expect to drive on Wed to central coast and then same day back to cannon beach? AND





which is the first city where I could see the dunes? Do I have to go all the way to florence to see them?





This was just going to be a cannon beach vacation but I am feeling the urge to go further within this time frame.





Thank you all so much for your input, it is going to be very helpful! :)





Thank Bren











please help, so much beaty so little time!


beebee here, sorry I meant to post, so much beauty so little time :)



please help, so much beaty so little time!


I am from Van, bc too, and I just back from the Oregon Coast trip today. We didn%26#39;t want to drive so much, so we spread our trip out to 7 days.



We drove from Cannon Beach to Florence on one of those days -- while making stops for a few hours at Lincoln City, and Newport. But there was a lot to see in between that we didn%26#39;t do. It really depends on whether you want to stop at every viewpoint, stop for food, or explore. If you don%26#39;t make any major stops, you can definitely get down to Florence.





I don%26#39;t recall seeing any of the dunes until arriving in Florence...




About 160 miles from Cannon Beach to Florence along 101, so 320 mile trp there and back, and you probaly should go at least 10 miles south of Florence to see some of the Dunes. That is doable but long day and as other poster said you will miss a lot of good stops.





There are some minor dunes at Sand Lake near Tillamook, but if think you are going to Forence area I would not waste any time there.





If you do that I suggest also you do not do any beach time on way down. since you will probably already done some of that.





I would stop at Depoe Bay, Otter Rock, Yaquina Head lighthouse.



, Seal Rock,





Then southof Yacxhats it rellay gets good Devils Churn Cape Perpetua, Heceta Head LH, Viewpoint at Sea Lion Caves,





Then selected spot on Dunes. South Jetty, Lake Cleawox, Siltcoos beach. I would not go any further south than Dunes Overlook, since you have long trip back.





On way back you can decide if you hae time to visit Neport, Bayfront or Nye Beach, and any of the nice beaches near there.




Hi,





Wow thanks for your help guys, I wrote all your advise down, thats great as its really hard to actually know what a realistic time table for travel would be.





I have been to cannon beach a few times 7 years ago and up the coast once but I totally forget how long it actually took with stops, but I do remember total beauty!!! and I am so exicted about going back.





places like the oregon coast make you believe there is a god, its so beautiful







thanks again,





Brenda




Since you enjoye the Oregon Coast so much, you may want to check into subscriving to the Oregon Coast magazine. Gorgeous photos and interesting articles!





Have a great trip and please report back with us after your travels! :)




Hasnt been to the coast in over 7 years so you tell her to subscribe to your magazine? I am sure this makes sense on some planet




I drove from Florence to Seaside (6 miles north of Cannon Beach) two weeks ago and it took 4.5 hours of straight driving!! The coast route (Hwy 101) is VERY busy right now, so I wouldn%26#39;t advise trying Cannon Beach to Florence then back in one day.





phirl is correct about Sand Lake, but the dunes there do not compare in size or beauty with the ODNRA, which begin south of the Siuslaw River in Florence.





Den




Good post Den. I was wondering how long it would take in busy season.





Agree with Den with that info I wouldn%26#39;t go to ODNRA.





One option to condier for a day is Tillamook County.





Three Capes Road to Pacific City see the dunes at Sand Lake. Rockaway Beach, Manzanita, Tillamook Cheese Factory. Tillamook Air Museum. Easy to spend a day there doing something different and not spend all day just driving.





Then come back from BC to central oreg coast when you can stay there.




thank you all so much for your help, I am doing a lot of reseach and I just keep extending my trip!!





On Thusday I am thinking about driving from cannon beach to around depoe bay or newport and staying the night there, now I am just reseaching which camp site to stay at. drive to florence on early friday morning, then drive back the coast and stay the night closer to cannon beach, then head home to van, bc early sat morning.





It still sounds rushed a bit but by driving home sat instead of friday I miss work/ rush hour traffic





Does this sound more doeable? :)





funny thing is this was a last minute planning trip and I didn%26#39;t expect to spend this much money ( i%26#39;m renting a car also) but I know oregon coast is worth it and hubby has never been there.





thanks again all, I better get some shut eye.





Brenda




This link my help your research for a campground:



www.oregonstateparks.org





Since you are renting a car, I assume you will be tent camping????





There%26#39;s not a lot in the Depot Bay area, but there is Beverly Beach, north of Newport and South Beach, just south of the Yaquina River. You might also consider Beachside, between Waldport and Yachats.





Den


  • back blackheads
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment