Thursday, April 26, 2012

What's at the Saturday Market?

We will be in the Portland area for 4 days. i might like to visit the Market (not farmer%26#39;s market) on Sunday. Can someone tell me how large it is and what type of items I might find there? Thank you for any info.



What's at the Saturday Market?


http://www.portlandsaturdaymarket.com/





This is their site..it will tell you better than we can. It can be fun. It is fairly large, everything, candles, jewelry, paintings , photos, you name it. But they all have to be made by the people selling them, not by mass production..Have fun.





And welcome to Portland and welcome to the Forums :)



What's at the Saturday Market?


The booths on west side of 1st are not all hand made stuff. So you might pass on through there and start on east or river side of 1st.





Once i did most of my Christmas shopping there, My daughter and I would go down in the freezing cold or whatever the weather. but one year I realized I had gotten almost everyhing my wife would like so don%26#39;t go so often They have some very good stuff there and mostly the maker is in the booth.




Hey... neither of you mentioned the food and the beer!





How large is it? What... about two city blocks +/- ?





The shopping is one thing, but I think it%26#39;s also one of the best places in Portland to people-watch. Lots of locals, even more tourists, lots of smiles, friendly faces, street performers.... Especially on a sunny day, it%26#39;s a great place to spend a few hours.




LOL mistletoe, I won%26#39;t eat the food there :)



The part of the market that is on the East side of the tracks is the Saturday Mkt part ... the rules are you cannot sell things that you did not make, like shampoos or that sort of retail.



I think the other side of the tracks developed over time and is not really part of that?



I like the people watching too as well as the music that is usually going on..Pup likes it, he meets a lot of interesting people lol..




Thanks for the information. I think it sounds like fun. i learn so much from the forums before I visit an area. It%26#39;s great to be able to ask experts about their community. Thanks again.




It is totally fun. But be a careful consumer. There are lots of hand-wrought items, jewelry, art and pottery. There%26#39;s also a bunch of cheap junk that you could find on a street corner in any big city. The artisans are delightful to talk with and the junk sellers press heavy on sales. I have coffee there occasionally but do not eat there. The food smells wonderful but I am uncertain about code compliance and if there%26#39;s anything I hate it%26#39;s a GI problem from a food vendor.





So my advice: Visit, be selective when buying, and eat elsewhere.




Artisans come and go, though some have been there several years. Recently my wife found a new one from Hood River. He polishes rocks from his quarry in Centr Wash. He lives in Hood River.





He does really great work, my wife has bought 4, I think interesting shapes. I had to drive up in area to pick one up they are good sized. We have not been this summer, not sure he is still coming. But have seen work at 3 to 4 times his price that don%26#39;t match his work. at other places. I like his stuff as well as my wife does.





He is usually in overflow area near fire station.

No comments:

Post a Comment