Friday, April 27, 2012

Off to college

I am getting my daughter settled in Pacific University. While I am in Oregeon, I need to get her liscence, plate and insurance valid for the state. I will also need to buy the things she will need for the dorm.



While I am there, I would like to see the sights in Portland, maybe drink some wine.



Where should I stay?



Thanks in advance to the experts.



Respect



Off to college


Actually Forest Grove is almost between the attractions of Portland and the best of Oregon%26#39;s wine country, so it wouldn%26#39;t be a bad place to stay. And for a slice of Oregon, McMenamin%26#39;s Grand Lodge would be the place.





But obviously, you%26#39;d have a lot more options for everything if you stayed in Portland. It%26#39;s only 25 miles from Forest Grove, but depending on traffic, that can be anywhere from 40 minutes to who-knows-how-long in driving time.





For wine drinking, just head south on hwy 47 from Forest Grove towards Yamhill and Carlton, and you%26#39;ll find more choices than you can deal with. Let us know if you%26#39;d like specific recommendations. I%26#39;m almost positive you%26#39;ll get an unsolicited one for Scott Paul. ;-)



Off to college


Hi



I moved here to Portland, from Jax last year :)



They require written tests for getting your drivers license here..:( but car inspections are a breeze and license too. We went to Lake Oswego for our license.





Do you know where to shop for the dorm things?





Do you want to stay IN Portland?



Here are my lists ( I am feeling lazy so will let you just read those ) :)



These are good hotels in downtown Portland, close to the streetcar and many of the great restaurants in town..Portland is definitely a good place to find some good food and wine :)





Hotels:



tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i892-Sleeping_i鈥?/a>







Eats:



tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1397-Portland_鈥?/a>





tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1398-Portland_鈥?/a>





tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1394-Portland_鈥?/a>





http://www.tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1395



Portland_Eats_Downtown.html





Hope this helps :)




Hey, LO has a DMV? Easier than Sherwood?




Chicogirl--LO does have an office. Our friends in LO come to the Sherwood one though...they say it is easier. Not sure exactly what they mean by that...maybe fewer people? Or maybe the driving test? They mentioned this about a year ago and I didn%26#39;t think to ask them the details. Sherwoods DMV is a real hit or miss as far as being busy. The worst, which I suspect is with most, is from about 3pm onward.




Hey mistletoe,



Thanks. I can%26#39;t believe I got Oregon spelled so sadly, my apologies. The lodge in Forest Grove looks great. Any good thrift or second hand stores to recommend for a dorm room make over? Is there a good place for linens and home goods--any outlet or bulk stores?



I%26#39;ll take those wine country recommendations too.



Peace




The lodge was booked :(



What would be your second choice?




Realized I forgot an important item regarding the DMV. The DEQ is basically across the street from the Sherwood DMV. Makes it MUCH easier to get it all done! Plus, for a renewal, you can get your tabs on the spot at the DEQ without ever dealing with the DMV. There are not many DEQ stations around, so just go to the Sherwood one and do it all closeby instead of driving all over for the same thing.




Yeah, we drove all over the place..out to Beaverton to get the inspection, to LO for the plates and at least here in town we were able to take the drivers test.





There are second hand stores all over Portland, NW and NE...don%26#39;t know any names though, see them but don%26#39;t go to them :) But you will be able to find them, I am sure.





There are a few GoodWill stores on Burnside.




Thanks for the DMV, DEQ information. I%26#39;ll find Sherwood. Is Northrup Station a good location?




The Inn@Northrup Station..yes, a great location!

No comments:

Post a Comment