Thursday, April 26, 2012

Scarlett's one year anniversary!

Scarlett,





You should be approaching your one year anniversary in Portland ! Please let us newbies know how you did your first year. what you thought of the weather...does it really ';rain all the time'; and how you and your hubbie coped with that.



let us know your thoughts and advice, words of wisdom for all us newcomers...





Kinda like Scarletts version of ';under the tuscan sun'; diary !





congrats!



elle



Scarlett's one year anniversary!


Wow, it HAS been a year already! Wonder if her DH will buy her an anniversary gift, lol!





I do remember when Scarlett arrived in town. She called me when they arrived, and my DD thought I had some axe murderer internet friend. At least now she is a friend in real life too.





Happy Anniversary Scarlett:)



Scarlett's one year anniversary!


LOL elle, you are so funny!!



Thank you and Mtngrl too :O) Big grin...





Good timing too! We arrived here on August 5th last year..at the 5th Avenue Suites..I have never been so glad to arrive at a hotel lol.



Pup too... :O)





Our first year..hmmm...I should give this more thought, but off the top of my head..



I fell in love with Portland when we visited, our visits after that , when househunting just confirmed all the Good Stuff about the city.



Not to mention the beauty surrounding us!!





Whenever you move to a new city, so much time is spent exploring and it is all an adventure, we arrived in the warm dry weather so we had a great adjustment period before the grey arrived and that aspect of Portland was revealed to us :)





If you ask me, yes, it is grey most of the winter, it does rain a lot.



But I quickly got used to the idea of just having a small umbrella or and a good waterproof jacket/coat and did what I always do. It is very manageable here, in bad weather.





If you ask my husband, it rains starting in the fall and does not stop til July. And the wind blows and nothing keeps you dry when you are standing there waiting for that dog to go and the dog is looking at you as if trying to figure out why you are making him stand in the rain...(so don%26#39;t ask my husband )





It does make you reeeeally appreciate the good weather when it arrives.



But I don%26#39;t miss the NY snow/winters nor do we miss the Florida heat/humidity/ or Bugs!!





There might be insects in Oregon but there are very few if any in town...





We are househunting, I want a place in town, maybe I will forget about the House and go for an apartment.





I am still charmed every day by the friendliness and kindness of people here, I have enjoyed trying out all the restaurants and meeting people who live and work here and are so welcoming.





I have to say here- that much of the help we got before we moved and even now, comes from Mtngrl..who I met online and I feel very lucky that she has been such a great help to us in finding our way around, in giving such great advice and for being a very nice First Friend in Portland :)



We now meet for lunches and shopping :O)





so thank you and I hope your introduction to Portland and your time spent here, will be as full and happy as ours :O)




Do I get some bells and whistles for my two month anniversary? I have yet to weather (HA!) a winter here but I sure do love the summer! I have to agree, the TA regulars have been very helpful as well as some former TA regulars from the Maui pages who now meet secretly in a troll-free enviroment. Many of them are from the PNW and have given me lots of tips.



Congrats to Scarlett and good luck house hunting. We bought a money-pit house so maybe the apartment is a good idea!!!




LOL, Thanks Chicogirl, Happy 2 months...





Yes, store up your memories of sunshine , the winter will seem a bit long but these summers certainly go a long way in making this still a wonderful place to live!





A ';money pit';...hmmm...sounds familiar lol...




Happy anniversary, Scarlett. And you too, Chicogirl. I wish you both many more!




One year. you got to TA before I did. So have only followed your posts since Feb when I came around. You do good job particularly with portland questions,





I enjoyed AOL travel boards for several years when they were active, we had some good regulars there and now enjoying TA boards. Kinamon or Syrahgirl steered me this way with an e-mail. I did not know about TA boards.





TA Oregon regulars are good mix. Some know more about cities others more about rural and some good at both. some newbies, some long timers to area. several know food places. So hard to have question that won%26#39;t get good response from one or more of us. And a few are from far away who visited here. which is nice add.





Any way sure have enjoyed last few months talking travel in OR/WA again




Chicogirl--Happy Anniversary to you too:) I thought of you today. Matt is leading the boys bible study again, and I just dropped DS at it.




That%26#39;s a mess for us - Surfer really connected there - her dad wants to find a church closer to us, well, I do too.....





Could you email me the times of the right girls group for an incoming sophmore?





you can reach me at jacumbagirl@yahoo.com




Chicogirl--I will email you later when I find out. You could always do two churches. My mom does that in the bay area. Let me see what I can come up with.




Curious, some of you seem to know each other beyond TA. How did you do that? TA seems to not provide that. I have not read all posts carefully maybe you just post your e-mail at TA and go from there.





At AOL travel Boards your address was right there, which for most part was ok, several times I would go to e-mail with someone who wanted some details I figured was more than Board wanted to hear,





But then I got harassed a bit a couple of times. Once when two non-regulars came on and started attacking a poster they had problem with from some other board. I told them to buzz off we on oregon boards will take care of it, and we did, but then they started sending unfriendly e-mails to me.





and similar happened on Kauai boards. I never said buzz off. just a slow down comment.





So been kind of nice at TA to not think about that. On other hand pretty clear that it may be easier to e-mail some of regulars rather than use board. Our wine tour may be one example.

No comments:

Post a Comment